Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Buzzfeed Essay Critique


My article is 35 Things Every Engineer Has to Deal With In College. The website link is http://www.buzzfeed.com/jmzarina/35-things-every-engineer-has-to-deal-with-in-colle-bs9p. I think the author was very accurate in describing engineering students, even though this is my first year as an engineering student myself. The author was not that original in describing the community. The majority of engineering students could list off these ideas very similar to these memes, and they could possibly even think of more. The author did do an excellent job of using pictures to enforce the idea of the meme’s title. I think the author was somewhat wrong in describing successful engineering students, because there were no accurate memes describing them. The relationship between the text and pictures was very effective in several ways. The text was very accurate for describing certain scenarios, while the pictures were funny and interesting. The text draws the reader in and the pictures enforce the idea through comedy. I personally liked the meme describing how students feel about their tests, because it uses the T.V. show, The Office, as the picture. I like The Office and it made the meme more enjoyably for me personally. I would change the picture for meme 22, which references solving partial differentials in a person’s sleep. The picture would only relate to students in advanced math classes and was not particular comical. I would replace it with a picture of a person doing something in his or her sleep. My favorite meme was the last one referencing that engineering students love their major. A list of comical memes led up to this last one and was poking fun at engineering in general. This last meme is a more serious one that basically says that engineers have to deal with a bunch of negative things with their major, but in the end they love it and it is worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment